The Marion Dunn Heritage Trail, established in 2007, follows an old road leading past the old lime kiln and blacksmith's shop to the Chaffey's Lock Cemetery.
The trail can be accessed from either the Chaffey's Lock Cemetery or from Chaffey's Lock Road, about 30 metres south (towards the lock) from the Community Hall.
This short trail provides a pleasant walk through the cool of towering trees, including many large cedar trees. The trail is named after Marion Dunn, a descendant of one of the early settlers in the area. Marion has generously provided funding for this trail and its upkeep.
Part of the Trans-Canada trail system, the Cataraqui Trail passes through Chaffey's Lock, crossing over the old (1912) railway bridge. It follows the abandoned CN Railway line running from Strathcona near Napanee to Smiths Falls. The section near Chaffey's Lock is arguably the most scenic part of this trail.
The best access point (with room for parking) is near the intersection of Indian Lake Road with Opinicon Lake Road, about 1 km west of Chaffey's Lock.
It is a four season trail - available to hikers, cyclists, skiers and snowmobilers. Since it is on an old railway bed (gentle gradients), it is very easy to hike, ski or cycle. Head west of Chaffey's for the best views.
For more about the Cataraqui Trail see: cataraquitrail.ca
For more information about the old Railway bridge see: www.railwaybob.com/ChaffeysLocks/00ChaffeysIntro.html
A brochure featuring a map and highlights of Chaffey's Lock is available locally at such places as the Lockmaster's House Museum and Brown's Marina.
You can also view the brochure on-line on the Township of Rideau Lakes Website (click the link)
1724 Chaffey's Lock Road, RR1
Elgin, Ontario K0G 1E0
website maintenance & design donated by Ken W. Watson
©2019 Chaffey's Lock and Area Heritage Society