|Lower Bytown; from the Barrack Hill,
Near the head of the Eighth Lock and the "Sapper' Bridge": 1845
watercolour by Thomas Burrowes
(Archives of Ontario, I0002129)
|A view of the eight locks in Entrance Valley. The commissariat building and the Royal Engineers office sit on either side of the locks. The Depot is in the foreground of the picture, with Colonel By’s house on the hill behind it. On the far hill, Barracks Hill (now Parliament Hill), sit three stone barracks and a hospital.
About this Painting: This painting one of about 80 known paintings of the Rideau Canal done by Thomas Burrowes. They are held by the Archives of Ontario. The set came from a private collection discovered in an attic in Detroit in 1907 (gifted to the Archives of Ontario by A.H.D. Ross in 1948). The set is incomplete, many paintings are missing. They were painted by Thomas Burrowes who started work as a surveyor on the Rideau Canal in 1826 and became an Overseer of Works. When the canal was completed, he became Clerk of the Works for the southern section of the canal, settling in Kingston Mills and working until his retirement in 1846. His paintings date from 1827 to 1861.
|Press your BACK button to return to the originating page or ...||Photo Gallery|