|The very impressive Château Laurier Hotel looms over the magnificient flight of eight locks in Ottawa. The hotel, built in 1912, was named after one of Canada's Prime Ministers, Sir Wilfred Laurier. Built in the French Renaissance style it has granite blocks for its base, buff Indiana limestone for its walls and copper for the roof. The main roof has recently been redone and the copper has not yet weathered to its distinctive green. The hotel was commissioned in 1907 by Charles Melville Hays, General Manager of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway of Canada. However Hays was never to see the finished building, he died aboard the Titantic on April 14, 1912.